You as an entrepreneur need to find and process information about your site’s visitors in a way that best solves your business requirements. Then, you have to work hard to adapt your product to your online target to build a brand with personality.
The hardest part is when you have to understand your audience’s behavior in order to promote your product and make the sound that your market will adore. Identifying the right data trends about your user’s behavior leads to the power of your business.
Read more to see in detail 3 reports from Google Analytics with examples, explanations and SEO tips to understand your customer’s behavior to improve both SEO and website ranking.
Google Analytics (GA) is the data analysis tool that helps marketers track metrics (statistics) not only to discover details about users’ behavior but also to understand how well done an online campaign is. With Google Analytics, entrepreneurs can easily optimize their websites for SEO to successfully accomplish conversions (sales).
Thriving businesses are built on a steady ground and to maintain it healthy, GA is a necessary tool for entrepreneurs to check the efforts they put in when undertaking the online activity.
GA shows data trends about users’ behavior so entrepreneurs can serve products and the content audience is eager for. Hence chances for conversion rate optimization (CRO) are increased.
Audience, Acquisition, Behaviour and Conversions are the most important sections within Google Analytics. And today the information in this article will emphasize the most important subsections of Audience to help you extract data trends about user’s behavior: Interests, Active Users & Cohort Analysis.
Then, you can use this data to adapt your SEO strategy to the needs and wants of your potential customers. Observing and analyzing what your visitors are doing on your site, you as an entrepreneur will get smart ideas to help you work on SEO action plan.
In this article, will be presented findings of the 3 reports that can be found in Analytics at Audience and SEO tactics that can be implemented:
- Interests report
When clicking on Overview from Interests you will gather details about your website’s visitors: affinity categories (movie lovers, technophiles, shutterbugs, music lovers, cooking enthusiasts etc.), in-market segments (autos & vehicles, dating services, real estate, education, employment, etc. ) or other categories (Arts & Entertainment, Music & Audio, Internet & Telecom, Sports, Online Communities, Jobs & education, etc. ).
Google Analytics allows you to select 4 segments (as in our example) to discover interests and their key metric: % new sessions, avg. session duration, bounce rate, pages/session or sessions. Don’t forget to choose the Date of your segment’s total sessions percentages.
Click on the image below to have a look at Interests Report in which are included 4 segments: All users, Organic Traffic, Paid Traffic and Direct Traffic and their Key Metric – Sessions.
As the info in our report conveys, all users generate 71,11% total sessions and these are: Movie Lovers, Travel Buffs, News Junkies. Look at the other segments of the Affinity Category and analyze their particular percentage, listed on the left side.
- Knowing users’ interests, you can have a better understanding about the type of persons they are – if they like movies, traveling or doing business. Also, you can see what channels visitors came through or you can choose the source/medium you want to check – organic (SEO), paid or direct. Thus you can make the necessary changes to your digital marketing strategy when the value offered does not match your target market segments.
- For example, you can customize a landing page to reflect the strengths of your product targeting a specific audience (movie lovers, travel buffs or cooking enthusiasts). Don’t forget to include keywords naturally in your website content related to that type of users and product.
- Possessing knowledge from Interests report, your website design can be created to be more appealing to the right audience. Moreover, you can customize your products taking into account the new category of users that Interests report may uncover.
- Active users report
Active users report shows entrepreneurs if target market responds to offerings and if users are engaged with the site or not. People who use this report will know from the data chart if users’ visits increase or drop off for a specific period of time.
With Active users function in Google Analytics, you understand how many active users you got by looking at the metrics presented in the report. However, the values (metrics) are relative to the last day in the date range selected for the report.
The same rule applies to 7-Day Active Users metric which shows the number of unique users who initiated sessions on your site or app starting November 2 to November 8.
And when analyzing the 30-Day Active Users metric you find data about unique users who accessed your website throughout the date range October 9 – November 8.
Part of Active users are all new users and returnings users and it is indispensable to realize the value of site’s content by observing the constancy of the users when they visit your site.
SEO TIPS FOR ACTIVE USERS REPORT
- You can choose a segment or more to see the number of active users that were at the beginning of the month, during the month and at the end of the month. So, you can assess if your content marketing work has been successfully done or requires innovation – off-page SEO, on-page SEO, campaigns or another kind of approach. These could be interesting topics to be posted more frequently and to keep a greater number of visitors more active on the site every day.
- Whenever you have an idea of a strategy that implies SEO, you can implement it and see how visitors respond using Active Users report. Look at the plot line and see if it increased or decreased after the idea was put into practice – did it go up? did it go down? Change SEO strategies until you find the approach that brings the best results. Find your own SEO receipt for success.
- Analyze segments and their active users to see which one deserves more attention, so you know to invest your money wisely and earn a profit. When talking about SEO or organic segment, for sure it’s the cheapest means of promotion for businesses.
- Cohort Analysis report
You never want to lose time making assumptions; as an analyst, you want to look at the data trends, you want to make sure that what you are thinking is actually true.
Cohort report is that type of analysis based on people who do certain things around a certain time period. You need to choose a metric such as: page views, user retention or revenue per user in order to follow people as time passes.
This analysis is useful to understand if the users turned into useful long-term clients or they have never completed a conversion.
A cohort is a segment of users based on a dimension (acquisition date), a time frame (day, week, month), a metric (revenue per user, user retention, goal completions, etc. ) and a time boundary – you can limit date range cohorts to 7, 14, 21 or 30 days.
With cohort type, you specify the date you want GA to use to create the report and acquisition date is the only option that exists. Acquisition date is the day of the first session.
Cohort size is the time window that you want to use when you are looking at the cohort type. For example, if you choose „by week” you will see all the people that came on the website in the last seven days.
A metric is simply the data that appears in the report and you can select: goal completions per user, page views per user, revenue per user, session duration per user, session per user, transactions per user, user retention, total goal completions, total page views, total revenue, total session duration, total sessions, total transactions or total users.
It’s important to know how to define these cohorts in order to obtain the information needed.
First, select the segment you want to go into depth and gain information. In our example, we want to find info about Page Views (metrics) generated by all users, organic traffic and paid traffic for a single day, in the last 7 days. So, we choose „by day” in Cohort Size to see the number of users organized into the cohorts for that day.
So, you will see that Day 0 is the first day of the initial page views users performed. On Day 1 you can see the number of page views effectuated by the segments and date is being shown on the left. Thus, in our example, on 11th of November 16, all 432 users saw 789 pages on Day 0. And on Day 1, from 789 pages views, users viewed only 9 pages. From this
And on Day 1, from 789 pages views, users viewed only 9 pages. From this fact, we can conclude that many visitors were brought to the website through different online marketing channels but there is a lack of interest for visitors to return and generate more page views on the next days.
We can see that during the weekend (12 and 13.11.16) there are a few and almost no page views generated by all users.
The site is not visited so we have to find out why people lack the interest to return to our site. For this reason, website strategy has to be reassessed and make enhancements for SEO visibility.
SEO TIPS FOR COHORT ANALYSIS REPORT
- Consider optimization for mobile and tablet user as a top priority. With Cohort Analysis report, you can identify how many of the users from a cohort are coming back and remaining with you. If the next days just a few users or none are coming back, it could be because they are bouncing out quickly so your site is not tempting for them or it could not be functioning properly – the layout is not responsive design.
- You got only 8 seconds to win the person’s trust through a mobile responsive design website. Try to find what is wrong with your site to fix all the problems and determine users – segments to return to your website and convert.
- Try to improve content marketing, write more often and have posts with titles that sell. And once users stop on the page and become curious about reading the news you can invite them to subscribe to a newsletter and build a long-term relationship. Moreover, optimize the post and make it ready for the right audience to convert.
With the 3 reports of Google Analytics – Interests, Active users & Cohort Analysis, you find data trends about user behavior, helpful for SEO activity.
Now that you know from where to extract important info about your audience, develop your own SEO tactics. These should bring the right people closer to your site, move them through conversion funnel and deliver what you promise.